You are: Documentation > School History
Caergeiliog School is proud of its distinguished history.
Our School first saw its beginnings in the early eighteenth century when education offered as part of the Circulating School System. The School was in Llanfair-yn-Neubwll an area about 2 miles to the south west of the present School. This School, which we would probably call a ‘class’ today, was:
In this ‘class’:
Caergeiliog School Before 1870:
After the days of the Circulating Schools educational facilities were very scarce until the introduction of the Sunday Schools at the beginning of the nineteenth century.
Churchmen were mainly responsible for providing day education and a network of National School’s was established throughout the county by means of a ‘National Society’. Ysgol Caergeiliog was now to see the next step in its history when a National School was opened at Llanfihangel-yn-Nhywyn, an area less than quarter of a mile to the south west of the present School site. The old School building still stands today
Caergeiliog School after the Forster’s Education Act of 1870:
Caergeiliog School saw many developments after Forster’s Education Act of 1870.
William Edward Forster (1818-1886) was a British statesman and brother-in-law of the English poet Matthew Arnold. He was an elected Member of Parliament for Bradford in 1861 – a post he held for the rest of his life.
Forster was appointed Vice president of the Committee of Council on Education in 1868, and in 1870 he introduced an Educational Reform Bill. This Bill was passed after a great deal of argument.
By this Education Act of 1870 the Government made larger Grants to the Voluntary Schools and authorised the election of School Boards in each parish. These Boards had to establish Board Schools with the aid of Government Grants. The Act also made it a requirement for all schools to be inspected.
Whilst Voluntary Schools were allowed to continue, this ‘Dual System’ of Voluntary and Board Schools was a constant bone of contention!
The School at the Turn of the Nineteenth Century:
By the beginning of the nineteenth century the School moved to its present site and was opened as a two classroom school.
Caergeiliog School from 1940 to 1963 – A Significant Milestone in its History:
In 1939, the School faced closure due to falling numbers. The School’s Official Log Book records a School Roll of 9 pupils. At this time, the R.A.F Station at Valley was being developed and the Ministry of Defence decided that Caergeiliog School would be its chosen School for children of R.A.F personnel. Thus began the link between R.A.F Valley and the School and through this link the School was given new life. In the year 2000 the School proudly celebrated 60 years association with the Station.
From 1940 to 1960 the School Roll steadily increased and although the School had seen some new building developments during this period the most significant developments came in 1963 when the School was totally refurbished, with the addition of new classrooms, a new School Hall and a new kitchen.
Caergeiliog School from 1963 to 1991:
During the period 1963 to 1982 the School Roll continued to increase, further emphasising the School’s popularity as an Educational Establishment.
Caergeiliog School from 1992 to 1993 – Another Milestone in Its History:
In July 1992, the parents at the School voted for the School to become Grant Maintained and on 1 April 1993 Ysgol Caergeiliog became the first Primary School in Wales to be given Grant Maintained Status.
Developments since 1993:
In 1993 the School acquired a new twin mobile unit with cloakrooms in order to accommodate the significant increase in pupil numbers.
In July 1994 work commenced on a new 4 Classroom Block with facilities.
In 1996 the School acquired a 2 acre field to be used as its Sports Field.
In 1996 the School acquired an Outdoor Education Centre. This Centre gives the School access to 25 acres of land which is used for camping and orienteering.
In March 1997 work was completed on the School’s new car park.
In March 1997 the School’s Nursery Unit, established since 1982, was moved to new accommodation.
In February 1997, having gone through the process of publishing Statutory Proposals to significantly enlarge the School thus giving it a capacity of 400 pupils, the School was given a Grant under the Government’s Popular Schools Initiative which totaled a sum of £500,000 giving it a new classroom block, a sports pavilion, a new foyer and a new kitchen.
In August 1998, having published Statutory Proposals, the School age range was extended to cater for pupils aged 3-11 years.
In March 2000 the School acquired a new purpose built ‘Lilliput Nursery Unit’ to accommodate its Nursery Pupils.
In 2001 the School purchased 14 acres of playing fields.
In July 2001 the School purchased a new Staff Room.
In July 2004 the School acquired a new twin classroom Unit with facilities for Year 1 pupils.
In August 2004 the School acquired a new purpose designed Computer Suite with 20 computers and Interactive White Boards and a new Language Centre for the teaching of Welsh, French, German, Spanish.
In September 2011 the School acquired a purpose built Reception Unit for pupils aged 4-5 years age.
In 2012 the School further developed its extensive Outdoor Learning Area.
In 2016 the School acquired a custom design Crèche and Outdoor Learning Area for the purpose of accommodating pupils aged from 6 months – 3 years of age. It also extended its car parking facility, offering parking space for 90 vehicles.
In 2019 the School was given planning permission for the construction of a new Welsh Language Unit to accommodate its ever increasing commitment to extending the teaching of Welsh.
In 2021 the School applied for planning permission for the construction of an additional Crèche Unit for the purpose of accommodating pupils aged from 6 months – 3 years of age.